Discovery Lab will create an integrated learning environment where students achieve academic excellence through project-based and exploratory methods. We believe that all children learn and develop in unique ways and our learning environment honors the child’s natural pace. Our students will learn to problem solve, think critically, and communicate effectively. Through the use of community partners and resources, students will learn to be stewards of their environment and engaged citizens in their community.
To accomplish this mission, the Discovery Lab will:
- utilize a projects-based, exploratory curriculum. The school will use the local community and environment to teach concepts across all areas of the curriculum, including math, science, language arts and social studies.
- emphasize hands-on, real world approaches to increase purposeful engagement for our students as well as foster their awareness of the environment.
- teach how to think, not what to think
- preserve in students a sense of attachment to their surroundings in order to develop active, productive community citizens who recognize their role and responsibility to themselves, their neighbors, and the world.
- integrate the Washington state standards to ensure academic excellence.
- develop partnerships with local and regional resources to build stronger working relationships among educators, parents and other community members.
Discovery Lab will serve as a strong support system to children and their families, and will have a positive effect on the surrounding community. As a dynamic and adaptive entity, Discovery Lab will be able to swiftly change to meet the needs of the students and the community as they evolve.